The steam excavator during the ground breaking ceremony

The Pioneer Monument in Linz

The Nibelungen Bridge in Linz during construction

1938 to 1949

Brief Extract from the Chronicle

 

July 15, 1937
The establishment of the "Reichswerke AG für Erzbergbau und Eisenhütten Hermann Göring" in Berlin, which was necessitated by the great resistance of the existing industries in the Ruhr area (from Thyssen to Krupp)  to extend their metallurgical plants to include the use of low iron content ore.

Jly 29, 1937
Incorporation of the Hermann Göring Works: "Reichswerke AG für Erzbergbau und Eisenhütten Hermann Göring Berlin" with stock of 5 Million Reichsmarks, and State Secretary Paul Körner appointed Chairman of the Board.

February 12, 1938
Adolf Hitler ordered that the law of Reunion of Austria with the German Reich be implemented. This law was subsequently signed by Mr. Seyss-Inquart, Ausria's Secretary of the Interior. Also, on the same day, Federal Chancellor Dr. Kurt Schuschnigg met with Adolf Hitler in Germany at the Obersalzberg in Berchtesgarden.

April 10, 1938
A plebiscite confirming the annexion of Austria to the German Reich was held simultaneously in both Austria and the German Reich.

May 13, 1938
The ground breaking ceremony for the Hermann Göring Werke in Linz was held. Field Marshal Hermann Göring, Secretary of State Mr. Körner, District chief Mr. Eigruber, Plant manager Mr. Paul Pleiger and thousands of invited guests participated. Two villages, St. Peter and Zizlau, were thereby destined to be razed and become the home of  the most modern steel plant in all of Europe.

April 22, 1939
The establishment of the "Eisenwerke Oberdonau GmbH" as a subsidiary of "Hermann Göring-Werke". Dipl.-Ing. Walter Röser, who had been director of tank production for the high command of the army, was appointed manager.

March 12, 1941
Production of tank parts began at the "Eisenwerke Oberdonau GmbH". Final assembly of the tanks took place at the Nibelungenwerk in St. Valentin.

October 15, 1941
A memorable day in the Industrial age of Upper Austria. The first blast furnace of the Hermann Göring Werke in Linz was blown in. General Manager Dr. Malzacher presided over the commissioning ceremony.

February 20, 1943
The "Mauthausen"concentration Campopened a branch camp at the Hermann Göring- Werke in Linz.

October 1, 1943
At the Moscow Conference representatives of Great Britain, the USA and the Soviet Union pledged to restore Austrian sovereignty. (The declaration of Moscow ).

March 17, 1944
The first bombardment of City of Vienna by the US-air force during the Second World War.

July 25, 1944
The first air-raid by the US-Air Force upon the City of Linz and the Hermann Göring-Werke. 450 aircraft dropped 1,600 bombs resulting in 176 deaths and more than 180 injured persons.

May 6, 1945
US troops liberated the "Mauthausen" concentration camp in Upper Austria.

May 9, 1945
The "Reichswerke Linz" was appropriated by the American occupation forces after the Allies allocated the Austrian Works as follows: facilities in Upper Austria went to the Americans, facilities in Vienna to the British and facilities in Lower Austria to the Russians.

July 3, 1945
The planned division of the City of Linz into two occupation zones cause a mass exodus of residents to cross the Danube River from the Russian to the American sector.

August 3, 1945
A declaration by the US- occupation government enacted the restoration of Unions.

January 16, 1946
The first  "LOGO"  for the Company VÖEST was created with participation from the employees.

July 16, 1946
A historically important day. General Mark W. Clark, Supreme commander of the American occupation forces in Austria, turned over the plant, then known as the "United Iron and Steel Works of Austria", to the Austrian Government in trust.

July 26, 1946
The first nationalisation law was introduced by the Austrian Government and confirmed by the Allied Council, except for the Soviets who voted against the legislation.

April 2, 1948
The Marshall Plan came into effect. Between 1948 and 1951 the United States of America granted approximately 12.4 Billion US- Dollars to the overall European reconstruction efforts.  18 European countries were thus enabled to purchase  food-stuffs, raw materials and investment goods, primarily from the USA, for their individual needs.

June 1, 1948
A summer camp for childreen was organised by the Company. 80 childreen were able to enjoy a 3 weeks holiday, free of charge.

August 1, 1948
Arrangements were made by the Company so that  employees could book holiday stays in the "Gasthaus zum Schwarzen Rössl" in Windischgarsten ( Full board at 12.00 Austrian Schilling ), as well as at  the Naturfreundehaus in the Tauplitz region ( Full board at 8.00 Austrian Schilling ).

June 25, 1949
The birth of "Linz- Donawitz" LD-Steel. The first successful smelt was produced in a small 2-ton converter by injection of oxygen into the molten iron bath with a water cooled lance inserted into the converter mouth.

The content of the voestalpine Plant Chronicle
  • During the past 20 years the chronicle grew to about 1,000 pages.

 

  • For better handling it is split into decades which will be improved continuosly.

 

  • Here you see a brief extract only. 

Please select your location.